Military / Veterans Task Force
Twelve Month Objectives
- Review existing suicide prevention plans for both the DoD and the VA that involve both public and private partnerships and support plan development, implementation, and evaluation in communities.
- Review multi-level approaches for education and awareness around suicide prevention that address different points of transition for service members and veterans.
- Develop and implement an action plan to promote collaboration between public and private partners to engage military families, veteran families, and communities in suicide prevention and awareness efforts.
- Identify best practices or potential efforts that may be replicated in other communities and organizations in order to provide a resource/reference list for the above action plan.
- Make recommendations back to the Action Alliance Executive Committee concerning future work that Action Alliance could do to engage communities at every level in suicide prevention efforts for service members and veterans.
- Jacqueline Garrick, LCSW-C—Co-Lead Public Sector; Director, Department of Defense Suicide Prevention Office (DSPO), U.S. Department of Defense
- Jan Kemp, RN, PhD—Co-Lead Public Sector; Associate Director, VA Center of Excellence for Suicide Prevention, Veterans Health Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Kim Ruocco, MSW—Co-Lead Private Sector; Director, Suicide Outreach and Education Programs, Tragedy Assistance Programs for Survivors (TAPS)
- Donna Barnes, PhD, Co-Founder, President & Executive Director, National Organization for People of Color Against Suicide
- Alan L. Berman, PhD, ABPP
- Bonnie Carroll, Major, USAFR (Ret.); National Director, TAPS
- Sean Clark, JD, National Coordinator, Veterans Justice Outreach
- Judy Cushing, President and CEO Emeritus, Lines for Life
- Chaplain (Colonel) William Sean Lee, DMin, BCC, Joint Force Headquarters Chaplain, Maryland National Guard, Maryland Partners in Care
- A. Kathryn Power, MEd, Regional Administrator, Region I, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Jonathan Pruden, MPS, Captain, USAF (Ret.); Area Outreach Coordinator, Wounded Warrior Project
- Eileen Zeller, MPH, Lead Public Health Advisor, SAMHSA, HHS