Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Populations Task Force
This task force completed its work in 2012 with the release of a revised National Strategy for Suicide Prevention which included important content about reducing suicide among LGBT persons. Click "National Strategy" in the toolbar above to learn more about this important work.
Additonally, the Action Alliance, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and the Johnson Family Foundation are working together to convene an expert meeting to develop a process for the post-mortem collection of sexual orientation/gender identity data.
Increase the availability of data on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) suicide deaths. The lack of data on LGBT suicide deaths has been identified by the task force as the primary barrier to prevention within LGBT populations.
- Partner with the Data and Surveillance Task Force to ensure that collection of sexual orientation/gender identity (SO/GI) data is integrated into their work plan.
- Initiate dialogue with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on the possibility of adding SO/GI questions to tools used to gather mortality data.
- Identify a state to pilot and field test SO/GI questions in CDC’s National Violent Death Reporting System.
- Develop recommendations for post-mortem identification of SO/GI by clinicians.
- Andrew Lane, Private Sector Co-Lead; Executive Director, Johnson Family Foundation
- Mikel L. Walters, PhD, Public Sector Co-Lead; Behavioral Scientist, Division of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Alan Acosta, MS, Director of Strategic Initiatives, L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center
- Amy Andre, MBA, MA, Co-author, Bisexual Health
- Kellan Baker, MPH, MA, LGBT Health Policy Analyst, Center for American Progress
- Thomas Bourdon, Director, Tufts University LGBT Center
- Eliza Byard, PhD, Executive Director, Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network
- Michelle Carnes, PhD, Project Officer, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Sylvia Fisher, PhD, Director, Office of Research and Evaluation, Health Resource Services Administration
- Ann Haas, PhD, Senior Project Specialist, American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- David Kilmnick, PhD, MSW, Chief Executive Officer, Long Island GLBT Services Network
- Effie Malley, MPA, National Center for the Study and Prevention of Youth Suicide, American Association of Suicidology
- Nancy Martine-Alonzo, Director, Albuquerque Area Indian Health Board
- Kathleen O’Leary, MSW, Women’s Program Acting Chief, National Institute of Mental Health
- Philip A. Rutter, PhD, Asst. Professor, Counseling Psychologist, Widener University
- Caitlin Ryan, PhD, Director, Family Acceptance Project
- Lance Toma, MA, Executive Director, Asian and Pacific Islander Wellness Center